Postdoctoral Visiting Researcher (PhD), Novi (Blockchain)Novi Financial | Seattle, WA
About NoviFor many people around the world, basic financial services are still out of reach: about 1.7 billion adults globally remain unbanked. The cost of that exclusion is significant — $25 billion is lost by migrants every year through remittance fees. This is the challenge we’re hoping to address with Novi, a Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide people everywhere access to safe and affordable financial services through Diem, a new global payment system powered by blockchain technology. Our first product will be a digital wallet - Novi - for Diem, and it will be available in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app.
Developing a practical blockchain at the scale we envision requires solving many research problems. Innovations from Novi research already constitute the core components of the blockchain, including the DiemBFT consensus algorithm and the Move smart contract language and its formal verification tool, the Move Prover.
As a researcher at Novi, you will have an opportunity to learn about the myriad research problems that arise in developing what we believe will be the most important platform for financial services for years to come. You will be working with leading researchers as well as engineers and product managers. Since most of the work is open-source, many research projects can be discussed relatively freely. Research publication is strongly encouraged and rewarded.
We have positions for researchers with interests in cryptography, systems, security, programming languages, and formal verification. Term length will be considered on a case by case basis and could be particularly suitable for a post-doc.
- Conduct research to advance the state-of-the-art in blockchain and cryptoeconomics
- Contribute research that is relevant and can be applied to Novi product development
- Engage and collaborate with the research community within and outside of Novi
- Collaborate on research projects as part of a global team
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field
- Experience communicating research results
- Experience recording of research accomplishment
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment