Research Scientist, Novi Economics (PhD)Novi Financial | Menlo Park, CA - Remote, US
About NoviNovi is a Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide digital financial services to users. The first product Novi will introduce, in late 2021 or 2022, is a digital wallet, which will be available in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. This will initially support peer-to-peer payments and merchant payments. Over time, it will evolve to include enhanced merchant payments, broader cryptocurrency access, and broader financial services.
The Novi Economics team is seeking exceptional candidates from a market design, applied microeconomics, finance, or macroeconomics background to join our team. Individuals in this role are expected to have deep expertise and the ability to leverage economic theory into real-world, practical solutions for blockchain-based problems. Depending on background, economists in this role will initiate and execute projects around topics such as experiment analysis, financial and macroeconomic design of the system, economic incentives in consensus protocols, and more. Candidates should demonstrate a strong research background and the ability to disseminate findings clearly and succinctly. This job will involve both foundational product work and academic research centered around the Novi digital wallet and the Diem currency.
- Drive economics-based product decisions and research agendas involving the Novi wallet and the Diem currency
- Work closely with other teams, including product and engineering, to identify and answer economics-related questions
- Communicate findings clearly and concisely to leadership and other stakeholders
- Author novel economics research
- Knowledge in R or Python
- Knowledge with SQL
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining a PhD, in Economics or related discipline
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment