FIU Investigator - NoviNovi Financial | Menlo Park, CA - Remote, US
About NoviFor many people around the world, basic financial services are still out of reach: about 1.7 billion adults globally remain unbanked. The cost of that exclusion is significant — $25 billion is lost by migrants every year through remittance fees. This is the challenge we’re hoping to address with Novi, a Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide people everywhere access to safe and affordable financial services through Diem, a new global payment system powered by blockchain technology. Our first product will be a digital wallet - Novi - for Diem, and it will be available in Messenger, WhatsApp, and as a standalone app. At Novi, you will be working with a talented and dedicated group of people who are passionate about changing the world. Our leadership is experienced and some of the best minds working today in their respective fields.
The Novi Compliance team is looking for a Compliance Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) Analyst. The purpose of this role is to provide in-depth investigative research and analysis (quantitative and qualitative) that enables Novi to detect and assess the financial crime risks posed to the company.
This will be a dynamic role which will entail both tactical analysis (e.g. client investigations) and strategic analysis (e.g. broader data analytics across Novi’s entire client/transaction base.). The client investigative work will include AML investigations for the most sensitive and complex cases impacting Novi. The strategic analysis will leverage large data sets to identify new financial crime trends, typologies and networks. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into real world impact. The perfect candidate will possess excellent analytical, critical thinking and skills and be able to thrive in a fast-paced and fluid environment.
- Perform in-depth investigative research on companies and/or individuals who are clients, prospective clients and/or connected parties by utilizing a range of internal data (e.g. transaction activity, KYC etc.) and external data (e.g. blockchains, internet, media, legal, corporate and other publicly available records and databases). Investigations entail Novi’s operations globally
- Produce in-depth and high-quality reports that provide assessments of financial crime (e.g. money laundering, bribery and corruption, fraud, tax evasion, sanctions and terrorist financing). Maintain thorough records and supporting documentation for all investigations
- File Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) or equivalent with national authorities when necessary
- Liaise with Compliance Operations teams as needed during an investigation
- Actively develop knowledge of criminal methods and AML typologies, applying these characteristics through proactive analysis of transaction data to identify unusual activity
- Stay abreast on industry standards and developments in the areas of KYC, BSA/AML, and OFAC, and apply regulatory requirements and internal policies to your analysis
- Help design the FIU system and data requirements in collaboration with the Data Scientists and Engineers in order to have the capability to conduct proactive data analytics and thematic research on financial crime topics
- Perform research in support of ad-hoc compliance projects (e.g. program procedures, regulatory inquiries)
- 5+ years experience performing financial crime investigations and/or financial crime analytics (private or government sector)
- Resourceful, and inquisitive with experience analyzing structured and unstructured data from disparate sources and identifying patterns and developing conclusions
- Impeccable communication skills, experience communicating the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Knowledge of AML Compliance, or other related financial regulations globally
- Experience taking ownership of work product and consistently deliver results in a high production environment
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
- Knowledge of the crypto industry and the financial crime typologies in the crypto space
- CAMS certification
- Proficiency in a foreign language
- Experience with SQL and statistical analysis
- Minimum four-year Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, Law, International Relations, Political Science, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or similar field preferred