Research Intern, Novi Economics (PhD)Internship - PhD | Menlo Park, CA - Remote, US
About NoviNovi is a Facebook subsidiary whose goal is to provide financial services for Diem, a new global currency powered by blockchain technology. The first product Novi will introduce is a digital wallet, which will be available in Messenger, WhatsApp and as a standalone app. The first version of Novi will support peer-to-peer payments and a few other ways to pay such as QR codes which small merchants can use to accept payments in Diem. Over time there will be many other use-cases for Novi including in-store payments, integrations into Point-of-Sale systems, and more. When launched, Novi will have strong fraud and privacy protections. The Novi digital wallet is expected to launch in 2020.
The Novi economics team is seeking exceptional intern candidates from all fields, with a special focus on applied microeconomics, development, macroeconomics, finance, and market design, to join our team. Individuals in this role are expected to have deep expertise and the ability to leverage economic theory into real-world, practical solutions for blockchain based problems.
Depending on background, economists in this role will initiate and execute projects around topics such as financial inclusion, the macroeconomic aspects of the Diem currency, the economics of digitization and cryptocurrency markets. Candidates should demonstrate a strong research background and the ability to disseminate findings clearly and succinctly. This job will involve both foundational product work and academic research centered around the Novi digital wallet and the Diem currency.
- Drive economics-based product decisions and research agendas involving the Diem currency and the Novi wallet
- Work closely with other teams, including product and engineering, to identify and answer economics-related questions
- Communicate findings clearly and concisely to leadership and other stakeholders
- Author novel economics research
- Experience in a general purpose programming language such as knowledge in R or Python
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in a quantitative field
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment